Basic information on handling claims, complaints and requests
On what basis can a complaint be made?
A passenger or other person eligible can make a complaint to the carrier relating to the quality of the services provided or the non-performance or improper performance of a contract of carriage (e.g. a delay, an inappropriate level of comfort on a journey).
How is a complaint made? That is, what should the notification of a complaint contain?
The complaint shall be submitted in writing and should contain:
1) date of
2) name and address of the carrier (the body competent to deal with complaints);
3) full name (business name) and address (registered office) of the complaining person;
4) title of the complaint and the reasons behind the complaint;
5) amount claimed, separately for each document of carriage;
6) list of the documents attached;
7) signature of the person authorized to file the complaint.
To the complaint shall be attached, accordingly to the subject of the claim, original documents relating to the conclusion of the contract of carriage (especially ticket for the journey) and the originals or certified copies of other documents related to the type and amount of the claim - including those certifying the entitlement to free or discounted journeys.
If the complaint filed does not meet the conditions referred to above, the carrier shall request the customer to complete the documentation within 14 days from the date of receipt of the request; any failure to do so will result in the complaint left unconsidered. The date of receipt by the carrier of the corrected complaint shall be deemed the date of lodging the complaint.
The complaint concerning the request for the payment made should also include the series and number of each request for payment issued.
Our complaint notification form can be used to facilitate the submission of a complaint.
What is the deadline for complaint notification?
- A complaint relating to the non-performance or improper performance of a contract of carriage may be submitted up to one year from the date of the event.
- An application for compensation on account of a delay to an international train should be directed to the carrier no later than two months from the date of the journey.
- Complaints relating to carrier liability for death or injury of a passenger, in writing – to the carrier performing the service at the moment of the accident, within 12 months of the moment at which news of the loss or injury was received.
Where can a complaint be made?
- in person at our Customer Service Center (Centrum Obsługi Klienta) or any other ticket sales point authorized to sell PKP Intercity tickets (marked by the ‘PKP Intercity’ logotype)
- by post, directing correspondence to:
PKP Intercity S.A.
Biuro Obsługi Klienta
Aleje Jerozolimskie 142 A,
- by email to the address email@example.com
Notification by email applies to cases in which the originals of documents are not required.
If in the course of the investigation of a complaint it transpires that documents included with the complaint in electronic form are insufficient, the person submitting the complaint will be asked to rectify formal absences and send originals of documents relating to the conclusion of a contract of carriage (tickets) as well as appropriately authenticated copies of documents associated with the type and level of a claim.
How long does a complaint investigation last?
A response to a complaint relating to a journey domestically should be provided immediately, no later than 30 days from the day on which it was accepted.
Responses to complaints relating to a journey internationally are provided by PKP Intercity S.A. no later than one month from the day of complaint or – where justified – the customer is informed of a deadline, no later than three months from the complaint submission date, by which a response may be expected.
Other information relating to complaints
Complaints relating to the carrier's liability for personal injury
A person entitled brings complaints regarding the carrier's liability for death or personal injury to the passenger in writing - to the carrier that provided the service at the time of the accident, within 12 months of becoming aware of the loss or damage. If a particular part of the carriage was being performed by a subcontractor carrier, not the carrier itself, the person entitled may file the complaint directly with the subcontractor carrier.
If the journey is the subject of a single contract of carriage and is performed by several successive carriers, the complaint may also be filed with the first or the last carrier and the carrier or its subsidiary which concluded the contract of carriage having its registered office in the country of domicile or permanent residence of the passenger.
Compensation for delays
If the passenger has not obtained the refund for documents of carriage, and arrives in the place of destination indicated in the contract of carriage with a delay of 60 minutes or more, the carrier shall pay him/her compensation in the amount of 25 % of the payment for the journey. If the delay is 120 minutes or more, the compensation is 50 % of the payment for the journey.
At the request of the passenger, personnel of the delayed train or other authorized personnel shall issue a certificate of delay.
In addition, the carrier shall be exempt from liability for actual delay as well as for the inability to continue the journey on the same day, if the Passenger was informed of a possible delay before the purchase of the ticket, if the delay due to continuation by other connection or by route change does not exceed 60 minutes.
Compensation claim handling
The basis for calculating the amount of compensation is the payment that the Passenger had paid for the trip by the train which was delayed. If the payment is not clearly indicated in the ticket, the basis for calculating the amount of compensation is the payment which the Passenger would have paid for journey by that train.
The payment from which the amount of refund or the amount of compensation are calculated includes additional expenses (reservations, additional payments, etc.), but it does not include any handling costs.
The carrier may make the refund or grant compensation in the form of bills/vouchers. Vouchers are valid for one year and can be used with the carrier that issued them and/or for the services indicated. At the passenger's request, the carrier shall pay compensation in pecuniary form in a manner selected by the carrier, i.e. bank transfer or in cash.
The refund or payment of compensation shall take place within one month from the submission of request by the passenger in the unit responsible. Amounts less than EUR 4 will not be paid.
1) Regulation of the Minister of Infrastructure of 25 May 2011 on exemptions from certain provisions of Regulation (EC) No 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on rail passengers' rights and obligations, Art. 17 of Regulation (EC) No 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on rail passengers' rights and obligations that requires the carrier to pay compensation for train delays, applies in domestic traffic only to Express InterCity (EIC) trains.
2) Regulation of the Minister of Transport and Construction of 24 February 2006 on establishing of condition of mailings and complaint procedure (Journal of Laws no. 38, Item 2663),
3) REGULATIONS FOR CARRIAGE OF PEOPLE, OBJECTS AND ANIMALS by PKP Intercity (RPO-IC), General Conditions of Carriage for Rail Passengers (GCC-CIV/PRR)