Time limits for the filing of claims, complaints and ticket refund requests
On what basis can an application be submitted?
A passenger or other person eligible can submit an application to the carrier:
- for a return for the full or partial non-use of a ticket (tickets);
- in the event that the individual disagrees with the content of a summons for payment and can prove that a valid transport document or document authenticating an entitlement to a free or concessionary journey was held.
How is an application submitted and what should it contain?
An application is submitted in written form and should contain:
- the date on which it was drawn up;
- the name and address of the carrier;
- the name and surname (or other name) and address of residence (or registered office) of a person submitting the complaint;
- the subject of the claim together with a justification;
- the amount of the claim, individually for each transport document (ticket);
- a list of the documents included;
- the signature of a person entitled to submit the complaint.
Attached to the application should be, as appropriate for the subject of the claim, originals of documents relating to the conclusion of a contract of carriage (in particular the ticket for a journey) as well as originals or certified copies of other documents associated with the type and level of the claim, including documents authenticating entitlements to free or concessionary journeys. The above does not apply to online tickets.
If the application does not meet the conditions referred to above, the carrier asks the customer to supplement the documentation within 14 days of the day on which the summons was received, with a failure to provide this supplementation meaning that the complaint will not be investigated. The date on which the supplemented complaint is received by the carrier is taken as the date of complaint submission.
In order to facilitate and hasten the transfer of an amount due following a positive investigation of a matter, we encourage provision of bank name and bank account number in a complaint.
Time limits for filing claims, complaints and requests with PKP Intercity:
- within 7 days from the date of travel - complaints regarding the request for payment
issued to a passenger who is a holder of:
- entitlement to free or discounted journeys, who, when on the train, did not produce a document certifying that entitlement, or
- a valid personal ticket (e.g.multi-journey ticket) not produced by him/her to a conductor during the journey;
- within a month of the time at which the ticket ceases to be valid an application for the return of an amount due for a ticket for a journey internationally;
- within 3 months from the date of receipt of request for payment - complaints/requests concerning requests for payment issued on the train for the carriage of persons or objects/animals;
- up to one year from the date on which the journey ended: complaint applications relating to the return of an amount due for fully or partially unused tickets.
Where can an application be submitted?
An application can be submitted:
- in person at ourCustomer Service Center (Centrum Obsługi Klienta) or any other ticket sales point authorized to sell PKP Intercity tickets (marked by the ‘PKP Intercity’ logotype).
- by post
WIn the case of applications for the return of an amount due for fully or partially unused tickets, correspondence should be directed to:
PKP Intercity S.A.
Biuro Obsługi Klienta
Aleje Jerozolimskie 142 A
In the case of applications relating to the annulment of summons for payment issued on a train on account of the transport of people or items / animals, correspondence should be directed to:PKP Intercity S.A.Biuro RachunkowościAleje Jerozolimskie 142 A02-305 Warszawa
- by email
In the case of applications for the return of an amount due for fully or partially unused tickets – firstname.lastname@example.org
In the case of applications relating to the annulment of summons for payment issued on a train on account of the transport of people or items / animals – email@example.com
Notification by email applies to cases in which the originals of documents are not required.
If in the course of the investigation of an application it transpires that documents included with a complaint in electronic form are insufficient, the person submitting the application will be asked to rectify formal absences and send originals of documents relating to the conclusion of a contract of carriage (tickets) as well as appropriately authenticated copies of documents associated with the type and level of a claim..
How long does the investigation of an application last?
A response in the case of applications for the return of an amount due for fully or partially unused tickets relating to a journey domestically is provided no later than 30 days from the day on which it was accepted.
In the case of a journey internationally the deadline is up to three months.