Purchasing a ticket from a conductor (ticket inspector) – a passenger guide
Remember that when you are not able to buy your ticket in a ticket office, by phone or with the e-IC system, you still may buy it from a conductor. Note! Please remember that in such an event the purchase must be done promptly after getting on board. You may also buy additional tickets from a conductor – such as couchette tickets or for another journey if you plan any change of trains. Below you may find a brief guide for passengers who wish to buy tickets from a conductor (ticket inspector).
When getting on board without a ticket...
A TLK train passenger who has no ticket should declare his/her wish to purchase a ticket upon getting on board, i.e. in the first place he/she should try to find the conductor team. In this case, it is best to get on the car located at the front of the train or – if possible – to see the conductor before entering the train. This rule does not apply to:
- the disabled or people that have reduced mobility – provided that they produce to the conductor (ticket inspector) a document certifying the disability.
- people with visible physical disability (permanent or temporary),
- people who are at least 70 years old, on the condition of producing a document certifying age.
These people may wait until the conductor approach them.
- Remember that even if at the time the declaration is made the conductor is not able to check you in - then he/she we will issue a confirmation of the notification of the lack of a valid ticket, and will sell it later during the ticket inspection. With this confirmation you can take any seat in the train without risking the consequences for your moment of inattention.
When you are planning changes of trains...
If you buy a ticket from a PKP InterCity conductor on train, and intend to change to another train of this company, tell the conductor. Then you can purchase a ticket for the second train, and if it is not possible to issue a ticket with seat indicated, you will receive a note in your ticket, with signature and stamp "further journey by PKP IC train". Thus, when buying a ticket for the next train, you will not need to pay an additional fee for its issue.
Additional charges - when?
When you buy a ticket from a conductor (ticket inspector) you pay for the ticket itself and for issuing it onboard (the fee is PLN 10). A ticket inspector will not charge the fee, if:
- you are disabled or you have reduced mobility – provided that, when buying, you produce to the conductor (ticket inspector) a document certifying your disability. However, people with visible physical disability (permanent or temporary) are exempt from this duty;
- you boarded the train at a station where is no ticket office or the ticket office was closed;
- the ticket office did not sell tickets of relevant kind;
- you are 70 years old or older, provided that you produce a document certifying age,
- the ticket office which could not sell you a ticket for technical reasons, has issued a statement about your notification of lack of a valid ticket ("Confirmation of the lack of possibility to indicate a seat/ issue a ticket for travel/ transport / extra ticket for sleeping/couchette/additional handling fee");
- you have a ticket with an imprint or confirmed note "further journey by PKP IC train" issued by a check-in point or by a conductor (ticket inspector) on another PKP Intercity train;
- you are entitled to a ticket with a concessionary fare of 100% discount (i.e. child with a guardian having a valid ticket purchased from the e-IC system, BILkom or ticket vending machine) and Border Guard officers, customs officials, Police officers and soldiers of the Military Police and military law enforcement authorities – on their business trips in accordance with § 18 of the PKP Intercity fare;
- you have a ticket with an imprint or confirmed note "Changing the carrier", issued on a train of another carrier (no fee for issuing it), when the scheduled time for the changing of trains does not exceed 30 minutes;
- you have a ticket purchased via the e-IC system, BILkom or a ticket vending machine, but also want to purchase a ticket for the carriage of items (that do not fit over and under the occupied seat), bicycle or dog (which is not transported in an appropriate container);
- you have a network ticket (Intercity Colour Card) and you want to purchase an additional ticket with seat indicated or with a note "No seat guaranteed";
- you have a weekend ticket and due to a delayed arrival of the train you want to purchase an additional ticket with a note "No seat guaranteed".
In addition, a conductor does not charge for issuing a ticket on train from Parliament deputies and senators (in the case of issue of an additional ticket with seat indicated or with a "no seat guaranteed" note).
Types of payment
You can pay for the ticket from a conductor either by cash or credit card - Visa and MasterCard are accepted. The exception is the payment (for the "Wars" car conductor) for an additional ticket for sleeping or couchette (does not apply to Cheap Couchette), which may be made only in cash.